Can I see bed bugs?
As bed bugs are exceptionally tiny often with a maximum growth of 5 millimeters, this makes them very difficult to see with the naked eye. Their eggs are even small, predominately found in clusters and are often only one millimeter long. However, it is possible for the astute observer to see live bed bugs move when disturbed. What you are looking for is a bug which is half the size of a ladybird. Failing to see them with the naked eye, get a magnifying lens or take a photo on your mobile phone and zoom in.
> How do I identify bed bugs?
Bed bugs are six legged, flat, wingless insects which feed on blood from humans and animals. Their colour does vary; from birth their eggs are pearly while, then from the onset they are a pale white to brown. However, when feeding bed bugs the can turn bright red and then become reddish-brown after feeding. Often bedbugs are spotted after feeding and at the reddish-brown colour.
> Signs of a bed bug infestation – How do I spot them and where do I find them?
When looking for bed bugs themselves, they look like tiny dark spots.
When looking for where bed bugs have been, they often leave bloodstains behind which look like tiny dark dots and can have a sticky texture. On occasions bedbugs can also leave a sweet odour behind.
When looking for signs of bed bugs bloodstains you should primarily check all bedding, pillowcases and mattresses, especially the seams of mattresses. Further to this, dark, sticky spots may be visible in other places throughout your house.
It is essential to check around these places as well:
- Bedframes, especially fabric frames and duvan styled beds.
- Skirting boards and carpet edges.
- Bedside tables and furniture.
- Blankets, throws and house gowns.
- Ceilings or wall joints.
- Behind loose wallpaper or panelling.
- Flooring and rugs.
- Personal belongings.
- Books, paper and bins.
- Any other crevices predominately around the bed.
> How many treatments are required for a bed bug infestation?
GoKill Manchester Pest Control recommends two-to-three fumigation treatments to successfully eradicate an infestation. The reason it requires more than one treatment is because Bedbugs can hide in numerous places and it is impossible to ensure you fumigate all Bedbugs at one time. As our fumigators are highly trained to detect the level of infestation, they will advise you on the day or on the second visit if you require only two visits or any further visits, i.e, three visits.
> How do I get rid of bed bugs?
It is almost impossible to get rid of bed bugs without professional help and professional chemicals. GoKill Manchester Pest Control recommends you require a professional exterminator. Our highly, qualified fumigators are trained to locate a bed bug infestation for you, as they are often found in a couple of locations. From there, our fumigators will talk you through the whole process and will exterminate as required. Please do read further on the steps required before and after a fumigation treatment.
> Prior to a fumigate, will I be required to remove any mattresses within the property?
No, you can keep all your mattresses within the property. GoKill Manchester Pest Control advises you to strip all bedding from the mattress prior to the visit and stand the mattress against the wall where possible. This will make the treatment quicker for yourself if this is done prior. We fully understand not everyone is able to do this, therefore, our friendly engineers will be happy to help you do it.
> Prior to a fumigation, will I be required to remove any headboard within the property?
No, you can keep all your headboards within the property. GoKill Manchester Pest Control advises you to strip the mattress and headboard from the bed prior to the visit and stand the headboard against the wall where possible. If headboards are attached to bed please pull the bed out from the wall. This will make the treatment quicker for yourself if this is done prior. We fully understand not everyone is able to do this, therefore, our friendly engineers will be happy to help you do it.
> Who is at risk of a bed bug infestation?
Bed bugs can be found worldwide and in any household. However, hotels, hostels, shelters, apartment complexes, holiday homes, lodges and caravans have a higher risk of potentially having them. Due to higher numbers of people coming and going. Bed bugs are most commonly round in bedding or mattresses. However, bed bugs can be found in tiny crevices and from here they crawl into luggage, bags, boxes, garments, shoes, blankets, furniture, and even your pets and hitch a lift to your home.
Get professional help today, contact us to book a visit.
> Do I leave the property during a bed bug infestation fumigation treatment?
Yes. GoKill Manchester Pest Control advises that you and your family should not re-enter the property once fumigations starts. Our GoKill fumigator can advise you further on the day of the fumigation, however, we recommend that you do find alternative arrangements whereby you can stay out of the property for four-to-five hours after the treatment has been completed. This is for everyone’s safety and to allow the treatment to be successfully.
Once entering the property GoKill Manchester Pest Control advises you to ventilate all rooms thoroughly after they have been fumigated. This is significantly important to those owners who have babies, young children and animals in their property. Prior to making arrangements with GoKill Manchester Pest Control for a fumigation visit, please ensure you can make alternative arrangements for your family, animals and plants for the four-to-five hour period you are required to be out the property. Additionally, please advise all family members ahead of time to ensure you schedule of events is clear to all.
> What is recommended after a treatment – what is required with regards to laundry?
This a very important step before a treatment. GoKill Manchester Pest Control advises the following must be done prior to the treatment. The more you do prior the more successful the treatment.
- GoKill Manchester Pest Control recommends that where possible please ventilate all rooms which have been fumigated, by opening all doors and windows. This is significantly important to those owners who have babies, young children and animals in their property. You are eliminating any smell of chemical.
- Please do not hoover any fumigated rooms for up to 48hours after treatment. This is very important to ensuring a successful treatment, as you do not want to hoover up any chemical which is there to kill any bed bugs.
- Please do not clean any surfaces in any fumigated rooms for up to 48hours after treatment. This is very important to ensuring a successful treatment, as you do not want to clean away any chemical which is there to kill any bed bugs.
- Unfortunately, as bed bugs like to hide in places, we recommended you do a lot of laundry as previously stated in the preparation section above. Further to this, at GoKill Manchester Pest Control we recommend for ultimate success that you do not bring any laundry back into any infected or fumigated rooms straight after the first treatment is carried out. Please leave these infected room without laundry for up to 48hours. We recommend you have a spare pre-washed, clean change of clothing and pyjamas ready for you and your family to change into once you’re back in the property after the treatment. Taking these additional steps really does help to ensure a successful treatment.
- Please wash any animals, i.e, dogs and cats or animal belongings, i.e, bedding preferably prior to the visit. If not, please store their belongings tightly in a black bin bag and was afterwards. GoKill Manchester Pest Control advises you to wash your animals as often as possible through this process of visits, as bed bugs can attach themselves to you animals and this can prolong the process of eliminating them.
- Our GoKill fumigators, can advise you of any further recommendations prior to the visit.
> How do I prepare for a bed bug infestation fumigation treatment?
This a very important step before a treatment. GoKill Manchester Pest Control advises the following must be done prior to the bed bug infestation treatment. The more you do prior the more successful the treatment.
- Ventilation – open all doors where possible, i.e, room doors, cupboards, cabinets, closets, drawers, boxes, appliances and safes. This is where bed bugs can hide and if they are all open then our GoKill fumigator will happily spray all these areas.
- Please raise all blinds, drapes and curtains. This will allow our GoKill fumigator to spray everywhere around the floor areas and allow easier access to the windows.
- Please hoover all rooms, skirting boards and rugs prior to a visit.
- Please clean all surfaces prior to the visit.
- Please remove all bedding, clothes, house coats, jackets, shoes and animal belongings, i.e, bedding from the infected rooms prior to the visit. GoKill Manchester Pest Control recommends that these items are stored tightly within black bags, whilst you process washing them. This is to eliminate any chance of bed bugs escaping prior to them being washed. Also, do not place any clean laundry back into fumigated rooms from for 48 hours after the treatment. Unfortunately, there is a lot of laundry required to ensure a successful treatment. For any garments which can be washed at a high temperature, we recommend this.
- Please seal away any opened food or anything consumable.
- Please remove any animal belonging and plants to a room which is not bring fumigated or remove them from the property.
- Please wash any animals, i.e, dogs and cats or animal belongings, i.e, bedding prior to the visit.
- Our GoKill fumigators, can advise you of any further recommendations prior to the visit.
> Does a fumigation treatment affect any animals within the property?
Unfortunately, yes. All animals – pets (including fish) need to be removed from the property prior to a fumigation treatment being carried out. This is for their own safety, as we do not want them breathing in any chemicals. GoKill Manchester Pest Control recommends that animals belongings, i.e, beds, litter trays, bowls, toys, cages, tanks or aquariums etc, are covered, out of reach in another room or preferably out of the property prior to carrying out any fumigation treatment. GoKill Manchester Pest Control also advises that where possible please ventilate all rooms thoroughly after they have been fumigated. This is significantly important to those owners who have animals in their property.
> Does a fumigation treatment affect any plants within the property?
Unfortunately, yes. All plants need to be either stored in a room which is not being fumigated or removed from the property prior to a fumigation treatment being carried out. GoKill Manchester Pest Control recommends this to ensure they do not become infected with any surrounding chemicals and die. Our GoKill fumigator can advise you further on the day of the treatment.
> What are the symptoms of bed bugs and what are their feeding habits?
Bed bugs most often suck blood without you even being aware of it happening. They do not hurt when biting as they insert a numbing agent into your skin, alongside an anticoagulant that allows your blood to flow smoothly whilst they suck on it.
Bed bugs are more prone to bite when you are lying still, therefore, their peak biting activity usually happens during the night. It only takes as little as three minutes for bed bugs to obtain a full meal. After this they tend to crawl into crevices where undetected to digest and sleep.
The first signs that come from bed bugs are bites. Whereby, your skin can appear itchy and red bites are visible. These bites may be more so on your upper body, arms, and shoulders and the bite marks could appear in straight rows. However, do not presume all bites are immediately from bed bugs, as bites are extremely difficult to identify. Therefore, we recommend you seek a doctor’s advice if you are unsure. Surprisingly, some people have no reaction to bed bug bites; they have no signs of itchiness or visible red spots. Therefore, this is one of the reasons why bed bugs can go undetected for lengthy periods of time.
> Can bed bugs transmit diseases?
Do not worry, more often than not bedbugs are just a nuisance instead of a health issue. They get their name from hiding in bedding and mattresses.
> Key points that is useful to remember.
- Ensure you have alternative arrangements for your family, animals and plants for four-to-five hours after treatment.
- Remove all bedding, mattresses and headboards from bed prior to treatment. Our GoKill fumigator can help you with this mattresses, headboards and beds.
- Food storage – seal away any open food or anything consumable.
- Hoover and clean property prior to visits for a successful treatment.
- Leave keys for fumigator, if this is arranged at your request.
- Remove any animal belongs to a safe place or out the property prior to treatment.
- Ensure ventilation – open all doors and windows.