Why are rat’s pests?
Rats are very disruptive rodents who have the ability to create havoc throughout your full property. Due to the fact that they can squeeze through the tiniest of holes, gaps or crevices, allowing them to move anywhere. Rats cause damages, as they constantly gnaw on skirting boards, flooring boards, underfloor structures, heating, pipes and installation. All of which are expensive to repair or replace. In worst cases rats can chew through electric cables, which has potential to be a fire risk and set fire to your home.
> What should I know about rats?
- Rats carry up to 60 harmful disease, such as Hantavirus, leptospirosis, meningitis and typhus.
- Rats can bite, especially whilst you sleep and whilst doing so they transfer disease through their salvia.
- Rats consumed on a daily basis at least 10% of their body weight and cannot live without water.
- If you have a heavy infestation, at one point up to 30% of all female rats could will be pregnant.
- Rats reproducing roughly 6 times per year and have potential to give birth to 12 offspring each time. Therefore, they potentially could create a population of up to 1,250 off spring in one year.
- Rats reach sexual maturity once they are 4-5 weeks.
- Rats are superior swimmers and can tread water up to 72 hours.
- Rats can survive if flushed down the toilet and return to your premises through toilets.
- Rats are accomplished climbers and can climb any surface that has a rough texture. However, they tend to move downwards compared to moving upwards
> Where would I find rats within my property?
Rats are found within kitchens, utility rooms, basements, attics, garages and inside walls. GoKill recommends that you look under or behind any flooring boards, skirting boards, household appliances and under sinks. Rats also leave a lot of excrement behind, which is unhygienic and causes health risks. In addition, mice can easily spread diseases. They are also known to urinate on items which is often undetectable to the human eye.
> How do I know if I have rats?
GoKill advises you to look out for the following signs:
- There will be a lot of noise created from rats, as they will be scurrying around and scratching mostly at night.
- You will see small, dark excrement droppings or grease marks alongside and behind skirting board and cupboards. Also behind household appliances, such as fridges, washing machines and cookers.
- Scratching marks to any skirting boards, any small holes, gaps and crevices throughout your property.
- A strong ammonia like smell will be created from rat excrement.
- Visibly seeing a rat within your property.
- You may find that any food left lying around may disappear.
GoKill advises you that if you detect any of these signs, please call our offices to speak to one of our experts who can advise you further and schedule you in for visit, at a time that’s convenient to you.
Get professional help today, contact us to book a visit.
> How do I get rid of rats?
Although there is traps and chemicals which can be commercially bought, these are not strong enough methods to successfully eliminate an infestation. You do require specialist technicians to eradicate your infestation and install proper preventative measures to stop a re-infestation.
> Rat infestation prevention
GoKill Manchester Pest Control recommends you do the following to your property or business premises, in order to eliminate the chance of an infestation.
- Inspect the interior and exterior foundations all the way around your premises.
- If you detect any holes, gaps or crevices that are 2 centimetres or larger, we recommend that these entry points need to be filled in and repaired sufficiently.
- Clean away any rodent excrement or nesting that is visible. Whilst doing so we strongly recommend that any individual wears protective gloves and a respirator. This method of caution will help to prevent you from any risks to your health.
- In addition to any holes presented, please check all doors and windows, their edges and frames. If any seals are damaged or window panes are broken, we recommend these are replace immediately or covered over sufficiently.
- If there is any gnawing damage to the bottom of doors, it is advisable to attach a metal kick plate and this will prevent further damage. Furthermore, if the plate is installed initially this should prevent any damage and eliminate the chance of any mice being able to crawl under the door.
- It is very important to remove or clear away any food or water sources that are lying around and readily available. This is regards to the interior and exterior of your property.
- Remove any bin bags lying around on the floor and place them in the bin with the lid closed. Preferably keep any bins as far away as possible to the structure of your premises.
- Collect and remove any fallen fruits or nuts from trees within your garden, and if unwanted place them within a closed bin.
- This also goes for any pet food or water. At GoKill we recommend that you feed your pets in the morning and remove any unwanted food once they have finished. In addition, as a preventative caution do not leave any pet food out overnight.
- One extra preventative caution would be to eliminate any bird feeds from your property, as fallen seeds can encourage mice to your property.
- Inspect your garden and trim back any hedges, bushes or trees that are touching your property. This is advised as rodents have the potential to use them as pathways onto and into your property and by trimming back and exposing the soil at the roots, this will eliminate rodent harbourage areas.
- Continuously maintain your lawn and cut your grass short.
- Any logs or wood piles outside, it is advisable to store them away from the structure of the property.
- Check for any leaking pipes and drains and repair them is they require it.
> Do you provide a service for a rat infestation at all hours?
Yes, GoKill Manchester Pest Control offers a service which provides highly, trained, qualified professional technicians 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
> Who is at risk of a rat infestation?
Any premises, especially properties that have greater food sources available. By contacting GoKill Manchester Pest Control services and following our recommended before and after advise this will help to deter rats from disrupting your premises.